21 Inspirational Books for All Aspiring Data Scientists
Want to be an expert statistician? Great - enjoy the next 10 years of hard work!
What about machine learning? Do you want to be an expert in that? Or what about programming or data visualisation? That'll be 10 years (or more) for each.
If you want to be an expert data scientist you're going to need a strong grounding in all of these disciplines, so it's going to take you at least 20 years or more before you can consider yourself to be experienced, proficient and an authority in data science.
It can be daunting, especially if you're just at the beginning.
You're going to have a lot of questions, including:
- How do I get started?
- What subject should I start with?
- What skills do I need in these subjects?
- What is it like to be a data scientist?
- What do I need to do to get a job in data science?
Over the past few years I've been asked all of these questions, and I've always tried to steer the questioner in the right direction.
This has led me to discover a few books that can help, so I've decided to pull them together into one place for you to check out.
There are 7 categories of books that I recommend:
- General Data Science
- Machine Learning
- Data Visualisation
- Data Ethics
I've selected my top 3 picks in each of these categories, and while you would benefit from reading all of them, I suggest starting with one from each category.
Ready to get started? Then let's head to the first Data Science books, where I introduce 3 easy-reading entertaining books that give you a great idea of what it's like to be a data scientist:
All 8 posts in the series:
- 21 Inspirational Books for All Aspiring Data Scientists:
- 3 Great Data Science Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Must-Read Statistics Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Essential Python Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Books on R That all Aspiring Data Scientists Should Read
- 3 Inspirational Machine Learning Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Essential Visualisation Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Must-Read Books on Data Ethics for Aspiring Data Scientists
blog comments powered by Disqus